Forum des collectionneurs

Espace d'échange d'infos entre Cartophiles, Philatélistes et Numismates - pas de ventes

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Le Deal du moment :
Cdiscount : -30€ dès 300€ ...
Voir le deal

Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship?

2 participants
AuteurMessage
PhilaTejo

Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? Empty
MessageSujet: Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship?   Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? EmptySam 9 Nov 2019 - 17:17

Bonjour,

Once again looking for your help.

The following letter was sent from Funchal, Madeira to the USA on 25.7.1868. It has London transit mark from 1.8.1868.
I am looking to find the packet or ship that might have sent the letter from Funchal to the UK/London/Southampton.

I did some research and between 27.7 and 29.7 there were no packets/ships arriving in Lisbon from Madeira therefore I can conclude that the letter went direct to the UK. I already did some research on UK newspapers and couldn't find it.

Now, I believe the answer could be in the packets of West Coast of Africa that passed via Madeira and went straight to the UK without transiting in Lisbon. Unfortunately, I don't have literature about West African Mail packets. 

Anyone might know the answer to this? Perhaps the book from Colin Tabeart, British West African Mail Packets has the answer?

Thank you once again!

Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? Funcha10
Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? Funcha11
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Mare Nostrum

Mare Nostrum

Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship?   Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? EmptySam 9 Nov 2019 - 18:47

Hello,

P.T wrote :
Anyone might know the answer to this? Perhaps the book from Colin Tabeart, British West African Mail Packets has the answer?

Just right ! The steamer was Lagos, departure from Old Calabar : 28.06.1868

Best regards,
Laurent.
https://independent.academia.edu/laurentveglio
PhilaTejo

MessageSujet: Re: Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship?   Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? EmptySam 9 Nov 2019 - 19:09

Hi Laurent, thank you very much!

I leave here an image from The Guardian, 3.8.1868 (Monday)
Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? Steame10

Wondering why it has a mark from London on the arrival day instead of a Liverpool mark ...
Mare Nostrum

Mare Nostrum

MessageSujet: Re: Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship?   Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? EmptyDim 10 Nov 2019 - 9:40

Hello,

Wondering why it has a mark from London on the arrival day instead of a Liverpool mark ...

2 possibilities ?
1/. the priority was surely to carry the mail (closed bags) as quickly as possible to London for sorting and forwarding it to the various destinations by the different harbors. Even for letters to USA... then going back sometimes to Liverpool for shipment !

(2/. a small steamer took and disembarked the mail in Wales or South-West England before the packet reached Liverpool, and forwarded it, by railroad, to London ? Cunard did it at Holy Head. But I've not read about that for the African Steam Ship Co)

Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? Captur43

L.
PhilaTejo

MessageSujet: Re: Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship?   Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? EmptyDim 10 Nov 2019 - 11:11

Bonjour,

Very interesting, did't consider those possibilities, thank you!

In this case the dates of the letter indicate the letter was carried by Cunard's "Russia" s.s. from Liverpool on 1.8.1868 to New York and then forwarded to Chicago. 
The "Russia" s.s. accepted mail until 20:30 (1) on 1.8.1868 without additional fees.  Not sure, at the time, how fast were the trains between Liverpool (or the place where the small steamer took the mails)  and London, to be able to go to London, process the mails and route it back to Liverpool, could it be done on the same day? Seems so ...

Regarding, Cunard did it at Holy Head, where I could read more about it?

(1) The Liverpool Mercury, Saturday, August, 1, 1868
Mare Nostrum

Mare Nostrum

MessageSujet: Re: Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship?   Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? EmptyDim 10 Nov 2019 - 15:29

PhilaTejo a écrit:
Bonjour,

Regarding, Cunard did it at Holy Head, where I could read more about it?

Hello,

Hubbard & Winter, North Atlantic Mail sailings (1840-1875)

Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? Captu140

Laurent.
PhilaTejo

MessageSujet: Re: Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship?   Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? EmptyDim 10 Nov 2019 - 16:57

Bonjour,

Thank you very much once again Laurent.
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship?   Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship? Empty

Lettre de Funchal (Portugal) a EUA, via Grande-Bretagne , 1868 - packet/ship?
Page 1 sur 1